OML 53

Seplat has a 40% working interest in OML 53, which is located onshore in Imo State in the north eastern Niger Delta, approximately 60km north of Port Harcourt. The block is operated by Seplat and NNPC holds the remaining 60% interest.

Licence type Exploration, development and production
Operator Seplat
Partner NNPC
Working interest 40%
Main fields Jisike (Producing); Ohaji South (discovery)
2015 gross liquids production 1,715 bopd
2015 gross gas production n/a
Gross remaining 2P oil reserves 115 MMbbls
Gross remaining 2P gas reserves 1,333 Bscf
2016 activites Production and development

OML 53 covers an area of approximately 1,585km² and is located onshore in the north eastern Niger Delta. The Jisike oil field, located in the north western area of the block, is currently the only producing field on OML 53. Existing infrastructure at Jisike comprises flow-lines, phase one separation facilities and a flow station with a design capacity of 12,000 bopd and 8 MMscfd. Oil production is sent for further processing at the nearby Izombe facilities on OML 124 from where it is exported via pipeline to the Brass oil terminal. The block also contains the large undeveloped Ohaji South gas and condensate field, the development of which will be coordinated with the SPDC operated Assa North field on  adjacent OML 21, together referred to as the ANOS project.

The expectation is that future gas production from the ANOS project will supply the domestic market, for which significant work on commercialization terms and development concepts has been undertaken. There is also shallow oil development potential at Ohaji South that could be pursued as a separate standalone project in the near term. Prior to initiating development of the ANOS project, Seplat expects to focus efforts on increasing oil production at the Jisike field and development of the shallow oil reservoirs in Ohaji South. Pursuant to the Joint Operating Model, Seplat was designated operator of OML 53.